Thursday, November 25, 2010

Self-Repair Manifesto


Mwahahaha, I love tearing things apart! Recently, I got the chance to do a tear-down on a PB G4 to replace the DC & Sound Card. Thanks to ifixit.com, I am able to get free repair guides, parts, and tools to do repairs on a plethora of Macs. It is so much fun to be able to fix things myself.

The fun thing about being able to access repair guides is the fact that you don't have to be a trained technician to repair anything. The step-by-step instructions are always well-written and, if there's any errors or room for improvement, there's a community to keep them getting better.

You can see my tear-down pics here. I think it took about 2.5 hours from start to finish and I only had one left over screw (but I know where it goes, so I can go back and put it in later).

I encourage all of my brave friends to try and repair stuff before tossing it aside. If I had the time, and money, I'd love to take some actual tech classes and add to my computer knowledge. I love being able to fix things and also help out friends when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger